Ohio State Library Research Resources
Jennifer Schnabel, the English Subject Librarian, consults with faculty, staff, graduate students and upper-level undergraduate students at any point during the research process.
For more information on research resources for graduate students, please consult this PowerPoint from Jennifer Schnabel.
The English Studies subject guide provides a general introduction to library resources for undergraduate students and can serve as a refresher for new graduate students.
First- and second-year writing students are encouraged to consult the following course guides:
- The Rare Books & Manuscripts Library contains primary-source materials and related published works from the medieval period to modern literature and the arts and which are available for advanced study and research. Faculty, staff, and student researchers can contact Jolie Braun, the Curator of Modern Manuscripts, or Dr. Eric Johnson, the Curator of Thompson Special Collections.
- The Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum houses the world’s largest collection of materials related to cartoons and comics, including original art, books, magazines, journals, comic books, archival materials, and newspaper comic strip pages and clippings. Faculty, staff, and student researchers can email email@example.com.
- University Archives provides researchers, students, and life-long learners access to original documents, photographs, and objects to create their own interpretation of Ohio State University history. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries.
- Dr. Leigh Bonds, the Digital Humanities Librarian, supports faculty and students applying innovative methodologies and tools to arts and humanities research.
- The Digital Humanities LibGuide provides a variety resources, tutorials, and tools for digital humanities praxis and pedagogy.
- The OSU|DH Slack serves as the Ohio State DH community hub for resource and information sharing.
- Campus experts offer consultations through the University Libraries’ Research Commons to provide information and coaching on resources, methodologies, and tools to support faculty and student research.
- The Research Commons offers spaces for individual and collaborative work and a computer lab for exploring research software, and provides faculty with opportunities to share and showcase their research.
General Info: Research Support and Funding
- Office of Research Research Funding and Awards
- Global Arts + Humanities Discovery Theme Funding Opportunities
- Research Support on the College of Arts and Sciences Administrative Gateway
- Senior Grants and Contracts Specialist, College of Arts and Sciences: Shelly Anderson (.707)
Upcoming Funding Deadlines
- October 1, 2021: Applications due for External Faculty Fellowships at the Stanford Humanities Center.
- October 7, 2021: Applications due for Residential Fellowships at the National Humanities Center for the 2022-23 academic year
- Application opens July 1
- Requests for chair letter due October 1
- October 8, 2021: Phase 1 deadline (expression of initial interest) for Affordable Learning Exchange (ALX) Faculty Grant.
- October 22, 2021: Applications due for Ronald and Deborah Ratner Distinguished Teaching Awards.
- November 1, 2021: Applications due for FY22 (fall allocations) Arts and Humanities Larger Grants Program.
- November 1, 2021: Applications due for 2022-2023 Newberry Long-Term Fellowships.
- November 15, 2021: Humanities without Walls collaborative grants due.
- November 15, 2021: Applications due for long- and short-term fellowships at the Huntington Library.
- November 29, 2021: Request for chair letters due for BETHA grant (grant application due December 3; see below)
- December 3, 2021: Applications due for Battelle Engineering Technology and Human Affairs (BETHA) grant
- Requests for chair letter due November 29
- December 7, 2021: Applications due for American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Sustaining Public Engagement Grants.
- January 14, 2022: Applications due for National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Digital Humanities Advancement Grants.
- January 15, 2022: Applications due for 2022-2023 American Antiquarian Society-NEH Long-Term Research Fellowship.
- January 31, 2022: Applications due for FY22 (spring allocations) Arts and Humanities Larger Grants Program.
- February 27, 2022: Proposals due for Drake Institute’s 2022/2023 Research and Implementation Grant Program.
- April 13, 2022: Applications due for NEH Fellowships. (Applications available February 13, 2022.)
Past Funding Deadlines
- February 22, 2021: Requests for chair letter due for Global Arts and Humanities Discovery Theme grants (see March accordion)
- February 26, 2021: Requests for chair letter due for applications for NEH Summer Institutes (see March accordion)
- February 28, 2021: Applications due for Michael Drake Institute Research and Implementation Grants
- Open to associated and TT faculty
- Requests for chair letter due February 24 (using required template)
- February 28, 2021: Applications due for Mershon Center Faculty Research Grants (human rights, peace building)
- March 1, 2021: Applications due for Global Arts and Humanities Discovery Theme (GAHDT) funding
- Internal and External Society of Fellows (faculty)
- Racial Justice and Community Engagement grants (associated faculty, TT faculty, staff)
- Graduate Professional Development Grants( faculty directors)
- Discovery Field Schools Teaching Grants (TT faculty; associated faculty/staff as co-lead)
- Request for chair letter (if applicable) due February 22
- March 1, 2021: Pre-proposals due for Accelerator Awards (commercializing software; digital projects)
- March 1, 2021: Applications due for NEH Summer Institutes for College and University Teachers (graduate students, associated and TT faculty)
- Requests for chair letter due February 26
- Requests for chair letter due February 26
- March 8, 2021: Internal applications due for Ohio State nominee for Mellon Foundation Sawyer Seminar
- March 10, 2021: Applications due for National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowships (prose—fiction and nonfiction)
- March 19, 2021: Applications due for Student Academic Success Research (SASR) Grants (Drake Institute)
- March 26, 2021: Pre-applications due for 2021 CCTS Pilot Translational & Clinical Studies Program: Telemedicine and Telehealth in the New Era of Medicine and Public Health
- March 29, 2021: Requests for chair letter due for Arts and Sciences Graduate Success Grants (see April accordion for application deadline)
- April 1, 2021: Applications due for Arts and Sciences Graduate Success Grants
- Requests for chair letter due March 29
- April 14, 2021: Applications due for NEH Fellowships
- April 19, 2021: Applications due for Critical Difference for Women--Research on Women Grants
- April 23, 2021: Applications due for Global Arts and Humanities Matching Funds for Ohio State's Seed Grants for Racial Justice
- April 26, 2021: Arts and Humanities Graduate Research Grants due by 9:00 am
- April 29, 2021: Requests for chair letter due for applications for Arts and Humanities Larger Grants for faculty (see May accordion)
- April 30, 2021: Internal applications due for Ohio State nominee for Whiting Fellowship
- April 30, 2021: Internal applications due for Ohio State nominee for Whiting Public Engagement Seed Grant (grant for a public-facing humanities project, for faculty who received their PhD between January 2008 and December 2020)
- April 30, 2021: Summer seed grant applications due to Humanities Institute for the Humanities Without Walls program on "Reciprocity and Redistribution."
- May 1, 2021: Arts and Humanities Larger Grants for faculty (final round);
- Request for chair letters due April 29
- May 6, 2021: Applications due for American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Leading Edge Fellowships (for scholars with a PhD conferred between September 1, 2016 and October 1, 2021)
- May 7, 2021: Applications due for Engagement Scholarship Research/Creative Activities Grants, from the Engagement Scholarship Consortium
- May 10, 2021: Applications due for Corbett, Critel, Estrich, and Lunsford fellowships for advanced English PhD students
- June 28, 2021: Applications due for NEH Summer Stipends for faculty (OSU internal deadline to choose the 2 university nominees)
- July 1, 2021: Global Arts and Humanities Discovery Theme (GAHDT) Society of Fellows Graduate and Undergraduate Research Grants due
- September 15, 2021: Applications due for 2022-2023 Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program
- September 17, 2021 (estimated): Applications due for John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship
- Deadlines have not yet been released for the next application cycle. The date above is based on the deadlines from past years
- September 22, 2021: NEH Summer Stipends applications due (for 2 university nominees)
- September 27, 2021, 6 p.m. EST: Applications due for 2022-2023 Berlin Prize
- September 29, 2021: Applications due for American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowships
- Requests for chair letter due September 24