Our dedicated, in-house English advisors help students select a track within the English major, choose a double major and/or minor, schedule general education and major courses and prepare petitions and graduation applications. Student may schedule an advising appointment, seek assistance during our drop-in hours or email our advisors.
- Understand the general education and English major requirements and think about possible double majors and minors
- Schedule classes
- Learn about the department's diverse minor programs
- Complete curriculum and registration petitions
- Explore study abroad and scholarship opportunities
- Apply to graduate
MaryKatherine Ramsey (.240) advises students in the following concentrations:
- Creative Writing
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Literacy (WRL)
- Pre-Creative Writing (i.e. students who are interested in the Creative Writing concentration but who have not yet been admitted to it)
- Undecided (i.e. students who have not yet decided on a concentration or who entered the program pre-concentrations).
She also advises the Disability Studies and Creative Writing minors.
Jameson Gower (.11) advises students in the following concentrations:
- Literature, Film Studies and Popular Culture Studies
- English Pre-Education
- Integrated Major in Math and English (IMME).
He also advises the English and Professional Writing minors.
MaryKatherine and Jameson both advise the Medical Humanities, Pop Culture and Critical and Cultural Theory minors. Students with last names starting A-L should contact Jameson Gower about these minors; students with last names starting M-Z should contact MaryKatherine Ramsey.
Katie Stanutz (.3) offers career advising for English majors. She's available to discuss:
- Career preparation and job searches
- Job documents (resumes, cover letters, etc.)
- Graduate school
*Until further notice, all Department of English undergraduate advising appointments will take place online using Zoom. Please sign into Zoom using your Ohio State log-in information.*
You may schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor, MaryKatherine Ramsey or Jameson Gower, via OnCourse. Please go to OnCourse and log into your student account. From there, you can schedule an appointment. If you need assistance, please see this tutorial which has further instructions.
If you cannot schedule an appointment via OnCourse, please email email@example.com to request an appointment.
For your appointment, please log into your advisor’s Zoom room at least five minutes prior to your scheduled appointment (if you schedule via email, we will send you a Zoom link). Zoom has voice chat, video, and messaging available. You do not need video or a microphone if you don’t currently have one.
If you would like to declare a minor (or if you are interested in receiving information about a minor), you may complete this brief form and one of our advisors will be in touch.
We are not offering drop-in advising hours during Summer 2020: please make an appointment or email your advisor. We will resume virtual drop-in hours during the Autumn 2020 term (exact hours TBD).
If you have transfer credits that need further evaluation, please email Dr. Katie Stanutz (.3). Your email should contain your full name, your 9-digit BuckID number, the courses you would like evaluated, and the institution(s) where you completed these course(s). Please attach syllabi for the courses and a pdf copy of your transfer credit report (instructions on how to access it here [pdf]).
Please allow two weeks for transfer credits to be evaluated. If you do not include all of the information listed above, your evaluation will be delayed.