Our dedicated, in-house English advisors help students select a track within the English major, choose a double major and/or minor, schedule general education and major courses and prepare petitions and graduation applications. Student may schedule an advising appointment, seek assistance during our drop-in hours or email our advisors.
Jameson Gower (.11) provides advising services for students in the Department of English. He is available to help students:
- Understand the general education and English major requirements and think about possible double majors and minors
- Schedule classes
- Learn about the department's diverse minor programs
- Complete curriculum and registration petitions
- Explore study abroad and scholarship opportunities
- Apply to graduate
Katie Stanutz (.3) offers career advising for English majors. She's available to discuss:
- Career preparation and job searches
- Job documents (resumes, cover letters, etc.)
- Graduate school
Per ASC guidance, the Department of English’s preferred mode for academic advising currently is virtual appointments, but we will offer in-person appointments for those who require them.
You have several options to schedule an appointment:
- Schedule via OnCourse. Please go to OnCourse and log into your student account. From there, you can schedule a virtual appointment with your assigned advisor (listed as “Phone/Remote”). If you need assistance, please see this website here.
- Email email@example.com. Please email from your Ohio State email account and include your availability for the next week; what you would like to discuss in the appointment; and your phone number. We will assume you would like a virtual appointment unless you specifically state that you need an in-person appointment.
- Call our Front Desk (614.292.6065) during business hours.
- Stop by our Front Desk (421 Denney Hall) during business hours.
For in-person appointments, please come to 421 Denney Hall at least five minutes prior to your scheduled appointment and check in with our Front Desk staff. If you are feeling ill on the day of your in-person appointment, please let your advisor know and email firstname.lastname@example.org so they can move you to a virtual appointment or reschedule.
For virtual appointments, please log into your advisor’s Zoom room at least five minutes prior to your scheduled appointment (you will be emailed a Zoom link). Zoom has voice chat, video, and messaging available.
If you would like to declare a minor (or if you are interested in receiving information about a minor), you may complete this brief form and we will be in touch.
If you have transfer credits that need further evaluation, please email Dr. Katie Stanutz (.3). Your email should contain your full name, your 9-digit BuckID number, the courses you would like evaluated, and the institution(s) where you completed these course(s). Please attach syllabi for the courses and a pdf copy of your transfer credit report (instructions on how to access it here [pdf]).
Please allow two weeks for transfer credits to be evaluated. If you do not include all of the information listed above, your evaluation will be delayed.