University Guidelines and Policies
All employees involved in the use of university funds are responsible for compliance with all relevant university guidelines and policies:
- Travel Policy [pdf]
- Expenditures Policy [pdf]
- Purchasing Policy [pdf]
- Purchasing Card Policy [pdf]
- Preferred Vendors List (More information available under "Procurement Decision Tree" below)
- Tax Exemption: As an entity of the State of Ohio, all university purchases are tax exempt. Please see the following page for a list of state-by-state tax exemption certificates.
Notes on Specific Purchases
PCard purchases aren't initiated in Workday. Please email the Fiscal Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org with your purchasing request. They will inform you if any additional information is required before making the purchase.
- Please see the Purchasing Goods & Services job aid in the Administrative Resource Center for a step-by-step guide on this process.
- BuckeyeLearn also has a 40-minute eLearning module that reviews The Workday Buying Experience.
- Please click on "Request Travel or Purchase" in Workday for an itemized list of purchase types and their description.
- For additional support, please contact the Fiscal Associate at email@example.com.
If you are planning to pay an individual, whether it be to pay an employee, pay an honorarium, pay for a service, etc., please submit your request at least three weeks in advance of work beginning. This gives us sufficient time to process required forms, submit agreements/contracts for legal review or process any required hiring forms.
To figure out what kind of paperwork will be required, consult the Independent Contractor Agreement Workflow Process [pdf].
Required Documentation for Payments to Independent Contractors:
- Vendor Setup Form [pdf]
By Ohio State employee making request:
Payments to employees: requests to compensate employees for work performed outside of their assigned duties should be emailed to the department's HR Associate for processing. If approved, the payment will be included in the employee's paycheck the following month.
Faculty should apply for Arts and Humanities Support for Research Grants to fund these services. If a faculty member obtains funds from the College or another unit to cover permission fees on the condition that the department match the award, the matching funds will be expensed from the faculty member's research fund.
All purchases, including business meals and alcohol purchases, must include a business purpose justifying the necessity of the expenditure. Purchases involving food and beverage must also include a list a attendees. Food may be purchased for the following events:
- Student-focused events (recruiting, etc.)
- Events that include non-OSU guests (conferences, business meals, etc.). Please note there is a limit of four Ohio State attendees plus university business guests at business meals.
- Employee celebratory/recognition events (limit of 2 per year).
- New hire welcome receptions
- Recognition of Service events (retirement/departure)
- Training events
All requests for department shipping and mailing supplies (i.e. labels & envelopes) go through our front desk staff. Please remember the mail is for use of departmental business only and UPS should be reserved only for exceptional circumstances (where extra security or speed is essential). Any items requiring UPS shipping must be approved by Wayne and will be charged to the individual's research fund balance.
The purchase of books and digital media published by an academic press, or other material relevant to your research, is permissible from the annual travel allowance, up to $250 per year.
Business cards can be ordered through Uniprint. UniPrint is updating its process following the Workday transition. Ordering process information will be published soon. The cost of having business cards printed will be charged to the individual's research fund.
Regarding Braille business cards, unfortunately UniPrint is not equipped for this. Once you receive your single-sided business cards from UniPrint, we can send them to a vendor to be brailled. The university's ADA Coordinator's Office suggests Access USA.
[.docx] - Some links on this page are to .docx files requiring the use of Microsoft Word. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.