466 Denney Hall
Areas of Expertise
- Creative writing (nonfiction)
- MFA, Creative Writing (Fiction), University of Washington, 2009
- BA, English, University of Maryland, 2007
Elissa Washuta is a member of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe and a nonfiction writer. She is the author of Starvation Mode and My Body is a Book of Rules, named a finalist for the Washington State Book Award. With Theresa Warburton, she is the co-editor of the anthology Shapes of Native Nonfiction: Collected Essays by Contemporary Writers. She has received fellowships and awards from the National Endowment of the Arts, Creative Capital, Artist Trust, 4Culture, and Potlach Fund. Her book White Magic is forthcoming from Tin House Books.
- Starvation Mode: A Memoir of Food, Consumption, and Control. Instant Future-Future Tense Books, 2015. EBook.
- My Body Is a Book of Rules. Red Hen Press, 2014.
- Shapes of Native Nonfiction: Collected Essays by Contemporary Writers. University of Washington Press, 2019.