Joseph V. Denney Designated Professor of English and Director of Popular Culture Studies
546 Denney Hall
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave
Columbus OH, 43210
Areas of Expertise
- American literature
- Popular culture studies
- Comics studies
- Film studies
- Narrative theory
- Medical humanities
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 1994
- BA, Amherst College, 1987
He/him/his and they/them/theirs
Jared Gardner is Joseph V. Denney Designated Professor of English, specializing in American literature, comics, film and popular culture. Gardner is the author of Master Plots: Race and the Founding of an American Literature, 1787-1845; Projections: Comics and the History of 21st-century Storytelling; and The Rise and Fall of Early American Magazine Culture. Other books and writings can be found at Gardner's website. Gardner also serves as director of the Popular Culture Studies program at Ohio State and is a frequent collaborator with the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum.
- Master Plots: Race and the Founding of an American Literature, 1787-1845. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998.
- The Rise and Fall of Early American Magazine Culture. Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2012.
- Projections Comics and the History of Twenty-First-Century Storytelling. Stanford: Stanford Univ. Press, 2012.
- The Comics of Charles Schulz: The Good Grief of Modern Life, edited with Ian Gordon. Oxford: University of Mississippi Press, 2017.
- Other books