Rome—city of many histories: a bellicose republic, a law-bringing empire, a medieval ruin, a Renaissance dynamo, a Baroque genius, a nineteenth-century fulcrum of nationhood and a twentieth-century center of political extremism and war. We will expore all these Romes by using literature, aesthetic and cultural guides from locals and foreigners alike. Our visit to such sites as the Forum, the Colosseum and the Pantheon will be shaped by close attention to poems, fiction, films, art and essays about Rome over the last two millennia.
The Rome trip will run from May 4, 2019, to May 15, 2019, and will be led by Professor Sean O'Sullivan (.15). To participate, students must enroll in English 4400: Literary Locations (SP’19) for three credit hours and English 5193: Individual Studies (SU’19) for one credit hour.
The Rome trip is a dual course experience:
English 4400: Literary Locations—Students who wish to go on the Rome trip must first take this course in spring 2019. This course is offered on the Columbus campus.
English 5193: Individual Studies—Students must also enroll in one credit hour of this course in summer 2019. This will cover the actual Rome trip which will run from May 4 to May 15, 2019.
November 1, 2018
Want to learn more?
Program Application, Costs, and Accommodations
Information about program costs, accomodations and the application process is available through the Office of International Affairs.
- September 10, 1 to 3 p.m. in 407 Denney Hall (Milk & Cookies special event)
- September 18, 5 to 6 p.m. in 311 Denney Hall
- October 16, 5 to 6 p.m. in 311 Denney Hall
Apply for Scholarships
The following are study abroad scholarships that we strongly encourage you to apply for:
- Department of English Shapiro International Scholarship.
- College of Arts & Sciences Study Abroad Funding Application.
- Office of International Affairs Wolfe Study Abroad Scholarship.
- Other Scholarship information from the Office of International Affairs and the university. Deadlines may vary. See specific scholarship for more information.