The Arnold and Frances Shapiro International Scholarship was established by the late Arnie Shapiro, professor of English at The Ohio State University from 1962-1991, and his wife Fran to help English majors and minors study abroad through the department's study abroad programs. Individual awards are available up to $1,000.
- Recipients must be current undergraduate students majoring in English or minoring in Creative Writing, Critical and Cultural Theory, Disability Studies, English, Medical Humanities, Popular Culture and/or Professional Writing.
- Recipients of the Shapiro International Scholarship must be participating in either English 4400: Literary Locations or the four-week English 4450: Literature and Culture of London summer program held during May.
Students must complete an online application form and include the following:
- A one-page, single-spaced statement (Word doc or PDF file) that explains (a) why their chosen study abroad program is important to them, (b) how they expect to benefit from the experience and (c) how the award will help them financially afford to participate in the program. This statement will be uploaded with the online application form.
- A letter of recommendation from one course instructor. Applicants should request that their recommender submit their letter here.
Deadline to Apply
- The deadline for English 4400: Literary Locations participants is December 2, 2019.
- The deadline for English 4450: Literature and Culture of London participants is January 16, 2020.
Applications will be evaluated on the strength of the statement (clarity, significance of the specific study-abroad program to the student’s academic and personal growth, and financial need); letter of recommendation, and advising report. Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the English Department’s annual spring awards ceremony.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Katie Stanutz (3).