Whatever your major—English or engineering, mathematics or music, or anything between—good writing matters to your success in the professional world.
The Minor in Professional Writing and its capstone internship prepare you to communicate in the work world and give you a competitive edge when you apply for jobs after graduation. You will:
- gain meaningful, hands-on writing experience in the work world
- enhance your professional writing portfolio
- develop professional references and contacts
- network with Columbus professionals and other students who have a passion for writing
- add valuable credentials to your resume
The minor's coursework complements any undergraduate major and offers a variety of elective options across the university's curriculum.
Once you have completed three courses and are enrolled in English 4150: Cultures of Professional Writing, you can apply for the professional writing capstone internship. After a rigorous portfolio review and interview with the coordinator of the Professional Writing Minor, Dr. Lindsay A. Martin, we work with you to find an intership placement that matches your professional goals with the needs of one of our more than 150 Columbus-area workplace partners.
During the internship semester, you will work with writing professionals for eight hours each week and attend the companion class, English 4189: Capstone Internship, for two hours every week to get guidance on workplace issues and learn from other interns' experiences.
Internship application deadlines
Spring 2019 internships: Monday, September 10, 2018, by 11:59 p.m.
Portfolio Prep Workshop: Wednesday, August 29 5-6:30 p.m.
Learn more about the minor in professional writing:
- Coursework includes 15 semester hours of a variety of writing courses.
- Internship gives you the opportunity to practice your skills in a work-world setting.
- Workplace partners list of potential places for a professional writing internship.
- Apply for the Internship, including application materials and description of the portfolio and interview process.
View some of our alumni and student testimonials to hear how they benefited from their experiences in the program.