This 15-credit hour interdisciplinary undergraduate minor in Medical Humanities instructs students about the social and cultural contexts of health, illness, and medical care. The minor offers critical perspectives on medicine not only as a body of technical and scientific knowledge, but also as a cultural process. It will benefit students seeking to do graduate work in fields related to the health professions, those seeking employment in the health professions immediately after graduation, and those seeking to expand their knowledge of issues in health care as part of their undergraduate education.
Official minor sheet [pdf]
- Complete one course from the following: Classics 2204, Comp Studies 3645, English 3361, History 2705.
- Complete at least four courses from the Elective Requirements.
- Complete at least three courses from the Elective Requirements if completing optional capstone.
- At least 12 credit hrs must be at the 3000 level or above.
- No more than 9 credit hours in one Department.
- A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination.
- A student is permitted to overlap up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.
- The minor must contain a minimum of 12 hours distinct from the major and/or additional minor(s).
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.
- No more than 3 credit hours of course graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory may count toward the minor.