The Creative Writing minor is designed to engage undergraduates in an in-depth study of the craft of creative writing. In addition to sharpening their critical reading abilities, students in this program will develop the skills needed to create original poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. The minor consists of four undergraduate courses for a minimum of 12 total credit hours.
Read more information about the Creative Writing Program at Ohio State. Or:
Check out the official minor sheet [pdf]
- Complete two courses in creative writing at the 2000-level. Choose from English 2265 (fiction), 2266 (poetry), and 2268 (creative nonfiction). Students are strongly encouraged to fulfill this requirement by taking one course from two of the three genres.
- Complete two courses in creative writing at the 3000-level or higher. Choose from English 3465 (fiction), 3466 (poetry), 3468 (creative nonfiction), 4565* (fiction), 4566* (poetry), 4568* (creative nonfiction), 4590.01H (special topics in the study of creative writing), and 5662** (literary publishing). The 3000- and 4000-level courses listed here are repeatable, which means that students are welcome to take the same course twice.
* Admission into the starred 4000-level courses listed above is competitive. To apply for admission to one of these courses, students should email a writing sample to the faculty instructor and request permission to enroll in the course.
** Admission to the double-starred 5662 course listed above is competitive. To apply for admission to this course, students should schedule an interview with the faculty instructor.
- No more than two transfer courses may be applied to the Creative Writing minor.
- While a grade of C- will be permitted in courses comprising the Creative Writing minor, the overall grade point average for the minor must be a 2.0 or higher.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Non-Pass basis cannot be applied to the Creative Writing minor.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need these in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org