Make an Appointment
Call the English front desk at (614) 292-6065 to schedule an advising appointment or stop by the desk in 421 Denney Hall.
If your assigned advisor is Nadia Barksdale or MaryKatherine Ramsey, you can make an appointment with them directly in OnCourse.
- Understand the general education and English major requirements and think about possible double majors and minors
- Schedule classes
- Learn about the department's diverse minors
- Complete curriculum and registration petitions
- Explore study abroad and scholarship opportunities
- Apply to graduate
Nadia serves as the primary advisor for students with last names A to L, and she advises all Pop Culture Studies minors and Game Studies minors. MaryKatherine serves those students with last names M to Z, and she advises all Disability Studies minors.
Katie Stanutz offers career advising for English majors. She's available to discuss:
- Career preparation and job searches
- Job documents (resumes, cover letters, etc.)
- Graduate school
Autumn 2019 Drop-In Hours
Student are welcome to bring quick questions and urgent concerns to Nadia and MaryKatherine during drop-in hours. Students interested in declaring a minor are also encouraged to visit during drop-in hours. Our Autumn 2019 drop in hours, held in 421 Denney Hall, are:
- Tuesday: 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Friday: 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
We are also thrilled to offer Online Express Advising with Zoom for currently-declared English majors on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. (starting Wednesday, August 28). These quick, fifteen-minute chat-style appointments are a great opportunity to:
- Double-check or ask questions about your already-made schedule
- Ask a quick question about your degree audit
- Add a course (if you have instructor permission) or drop a course (if after the 4th week of classes)
- Declare a Minor (except for Disability Studies)
- Ask a quick question about a campus resource (i.e. "Where do I go if I have questions about X?")
The following concerns are not appropriate for Online Express Advising, and should be handled in a scheduled appointment with an Advisor:
- Creating a 4-year plan
- Creating a schedule from scratch
- Figuring out what requirements you have left for graduation
- Transfer credit and Study Abroad concerns
- Declaring or exploring a major
- Applying to graduate
- Completing a SAP appeal
- Completing a ROTC/Military schedule projection
- Approving or creating an honors contract
- Survey appointments
- Declaring a Disability Studies minor
Joining the Meeting
The invitation URL is https://osu.zoom.us/my/englishadvising.
- When you join, you will automatically be added to the waiting room. An advisor will move you into the main meeting room to chat privately. Meetings will take place via chat, so there is no need to activate voice or video controls.
- You will be required to confirm your name.# and/or Student ID number.
- You will be removed from the meeting room after your appointment.
- Notes about your appointment will appear in OnCourse within 24 hours.
Visit https://resourcecenter.odee.osu.edu/carmenzoom for any troubleshooting questions.
- This resource provides written articles and instructional videos, including how to join a meeting. You will need to download Zoom to your device in order to enter the meeting room.
- Because these are chat-style meetings, you will not need to activate or troubleshoot voice or video controls.
If you have transfer credits that need further evaluation, please email Dr. Katie Stanutz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should contain your full name, your 9-digit BuckID number, the courses you would like evaluated, and the institution(s) where you completed these course(s). Please attach syllabi for the courses and a pdf copy of your transfer credit report (instructions on how to access it here [pdf]).
Please allow 10 days for transfer credits to be evaluated. If you do not include all of the information listed above, your evaluation will be delayed.