PhD in English Student
547 Denney Hall
164 Annie and John Glenn Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
Areas of Expertise
- Medieval Literature
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
- MA, Medieval Icelandic Studies, University of Iceland, 2016
- MPhil, Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic, Cambridge University, 2015
- BA, English, Vassar College, 2014
Nick is a Distinguished University Fellow and PhD candidate in medieval literature. His primary research interests include medieval discourses around sexuality, the body, the senses and Christian epistemology. His dissertation (“Tactile Theology: Gender, Sexuality, and the Sensorium in Medieval Literature") explores the relationship between gender and the sense of touch in a cross-section of medieval texts. He has published on the significance of the Middle Ages in modern culture, particularly among queer and trans activists, theorists and artists.
- “The Afterward: Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson in the Medieval Imaginary.” Co-written with Joy Ellison. Medieval Feminist Forum, vol. 55, no. 1, 2019, pp. 267–294.
- “Trans sanctity: Medievalism and the Vírgenes de la Puerta.” postmedieval, vol. 11, no. 4, 2020, pp. 459–467.