2017 Creative Writing Awards
Deadline for submission: February 17, 2017 (See guidelines below.)
AWARDS FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
THE REBA ELAINE PEARL BURKHARDT ROORBACH AWARD IN CREATIVE NONFICTION—$100: for the best essay or nonfiction book chapter by an undergraduate
THE JACOBSON SHORT STORY AWARD—1st place $500; 2nd place $250; 3rd place $125: for the best short story by an undergraduate
THE GERTRUDE LUCILLE ROBINSON AWARD—1st place $750; 2nd place $350; 3rd place $200: for the best piece of creative writing (any genre) by an undergraduate woman
THE CITINO UNDERGRADUATE POETRY AWARD—$1,500: for the best group of poems, not to exceed 10 single-spaced pages, by any OSU English major
AWARDS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
THE HAIDEE FORSYTH BURKHARDT AWARD IN CREATIVE NONFICTION— $100: for the best essay or nonfiction book chapter by a graduate student
THE TARA M. KROGER AWARD—$500: for the best short story by an MFA student
THE VANDEWATER POETRY AWARD—1st place $650; 2nd place $400; 3rd place $200: for the best poem or group of no more than three poems
THE HELEN EARNHART HARLEY CREATIVE WRITING FELLOWSHIP AWARD IN FICTION — $1,000: for the best body of fiction (multiple stories or an excerpt of a novel of at least 40 pages and not to exceed 70 pages) by a graduate student
THE HELEN EARNHART HARLEY CREATIVE WRITING FELLOWSHIP AWARD IN POETRY — $1,000: for the best body of poetry (of at least 20 pages and not to exceed 30 pages) by a graduate student
THE HELEN EARNHART HARLEY CREATIVE WRITING FELLOWSHIP AWARD IN CREATIVE NONFICTION — $1,000: for the best body of nonfiction (multiple essays or an excerpt of a book-length work of at least 40 pages and not to exceed 70 pages) by a graduate student
AWARD FOR UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE STUDENTS
THE ACADEMY OF AMERICAN POETS AWARD (THE JOURNAL PRIZE) —$400: for the best poem or group of no more than three poems (open to graduate and undergraduate students)
Creative Writing Awards Guidelines
We do not accept paper submissions. Please submit entries in electronic format (PDF) to:
Academic Program Coordinator
Department of English
- In the email message include:
(1) Contest for which the submission is to be entered
(2) Your full name
(3) OSU email address (name.#)
(4) Title of work
(6) Class rank
- Submissions should be attached in PDF format. If you are entering more than one contest, please send a separate email for each contest entered. If entering a contest for which multiple poems or stories are being considered together (i.e. up to 10 poems, a collection of stories, a body of work), please combine all work into ONE PDF if possible. In other words, do not attach 10 separate files for 10 separate poems that are being submitted to the same contest.
- Do not put your name on the pages of your entries.
- NO STORY OR POEM OR NONFICTION PIECE MAY BE ENTERED IN MORE THAN ONE CONTEST. ONLY ONE SUBMISSION PER CONTEST IS PERMITTED. ENTRANTS MUST SPECIFY THE CONTEST FOR WHICH THEY WISH THEIR WORK TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MAY ENTER AS MANY CONTESTS ARE YOU LIKE, AS LONG AS YOU SUBMIT DIFFERENT WORK TO EACH.
All entries must be submitted to Tammy Carl, Academic Program Coordinator in the Creative Writing Program, by 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 17, 2017.
NOTE: Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate classes are not eligible for any of the undergraduate prizes but are eligible for prizes available to both graduate and undergraduate students. These contests are open only to OSU students enrolled in a degree-granting program. Winners will be notified by March 31, 2017, and the prizes will be awarded at the English Department Awards Ceremony on April 17, 2017.
Questions? Please contact the Creative Writing Program at email@example.com or 614-292-2242.
- 2016 Creative Writing Awards Results [pdf]
- 2015 Creative Writing Awards Results [pdf]
- 2014 Creative Writing Awards Results [pdf]
- 2013 Creative Writing Awards Results [pdf]
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.