University Purchasing Guidelines
Purchase of Alcohol Guidelines
All employees involved in the use of university funds are responsible for compliance with all applicable university policies.
Procurement Decision Tree
All purchases are initiated through the eRequest procurement tool.
- Internal vendors (Uniprint, The Blackwell, University Libraries and other university vendors)
- Key Contracts (100% compliance is mandated in order to leverage our spending to yield the maximum savings):
- Beverages - Coke
- Express Mailing - UPS
- Office Supplies - Staples (video tutorial highlighting features of the Staples Advantage catalog)
- Copiers/Printers - Comdoc (Xerox)
- Preferred vendors - see contract book (MBE, Hotels, Beverages, Catering, etc.)
- Department card – all purchases less than $2,500 that cannot be purchased through an internal vendor, eStores or preferred vendor.
- Convenience order (reimbursement, honorarium, institutional memberships and registration fees)
- Purchase order – for goods and/or services greater than $2,500 that cannot be purchased through an internal vendor, eStores, a preferred vendor or with the department card
Notes on Specific Purchases
All purchases, including business meals and alcohol purchases, must include a business purpose justifying the necessity of the expenditure. Purchases involving food and beverage must also include a list a attendees. The College of Arts and Sciences limits the number of business meal attendees to 4, plus the guest. OSU attendess are limited to current OSU employees.
All requests for department shipping and mailing supplies (i.e. labels & envelopes) go through our front desk staff. Please remember the mail is for use of departmental business only and UPS should be reserved only for exceptional circumstances (where extra security or speed is essential). Any items requiring UPS shipping must be approved by Wayne and will be charged to the individual's research fund balance.
The purchase of books and digital media published by an academic press, or other material relevant to your research, is permissible from the annual travel allowance, up to $250 per year.
Payments to Individuals for Services
- Payments to non-employees: requests to pay an individual for a service (subvention, proofreading, indexing, etc.) need to be submitted and approved before work begins. Requests should be submitted to eRequest with an attached, completed and ink-signed Vendor Setup Form. The eRequest should also include a quote for the service and dates of when the work will be performed.
- Payments to employees: requests to compensate employees for work performed outside of their assigned duties should be emailed to the department's HR Associate for processing. If approved, the payment will be included in the employee's paycheck the following month.
Faculty should apply for Arts and Humanities Support for Research Grants to fund these services. If a faculty member obtains funds from the College or another unit to cover permission fees on the condition that the department match the award, the matching funds will be expensed from the faculty member's research fund.
Business cards can be ordered through Uniprint. Uniprint orders require an Procurement Request number (PR#) from eRequest and procurement requests submitted through eRequest require a quote so you will need to process both requests (Uniprint and eRequest) simultaneously so that you can supply each, Uniprint and eRequest, with the information that each requires. The cost of having business cards printed will be charged to the individual's research fund.
The front desk staff will order desk copies. If you need desk copies, send an e-mail to email@example.com indicating the book title, author, ISBN, publisher, class number, class title, class term, estimated number of students, the bookstore, and the number of desk copies needed. Please submit requests no later than one month before the start of the term. The front desk staff will send an e-mail confirmation after the desk copy order has been placed.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.