For information about semester- and year-long funding support, please see our page on Fellowships and Grants.
The Department of English will offer each English graduate student in funding $500 to utilize between July 1 and June 30 in support of conferences and meetings where the individual is engaging in professional work at regional, national and international levels by presenting a paper within the United States or abroad. Please note that funding is not available for chairing and moderating panels. Travel to appropriate libraries, archives and field sites for the purposes of professional research, both in the United States and abroad, is also permitted under this program. In addition, MFA students who are traveling to a writing retreat for which there is a competitive selection process or who are traveling to the AWP to assist The Journal can also apply for these funds. There will be no rollover of any fund balances across fiscal years. The individual must submit a travel request in advance (as early as possible) of the departure date. Individuals must follow the travel and purchasing procedures to utilize any funding.Pre-approval is required for any expense that you intend to be paid by University funding. You are not authorized to commit university funding without obtaining prior approval, regardless of the funding source.
Should a graduate student exhaust the $500.00 allowance and successfully obtain funding external to the department, the graduate student may request an additional $500.00 from the department. Requests for additional funding will be approved by the Chair on a case-by-case basis.
For each Ohio State Department of English graduate student in funding receiving an MLA interview, the Department of English will offer flight and hotel funding for a total of two years when that graduate student is on the job market. Reimbursement of the flight and hotel expenses will be based on reasonable and actual expenses supported by original, itemized receipts. University travelers should incur the lowest reasonable travel expenses and exercise care to avoid impropriety and/or the appearance of impropriety. The University considers “reasonable” business travel dates to be one day prior to the interview(s) and one day after the interview(s), and travel is directly to/from the MLA city. Requests for MLA interview reimbursement for graduate students no longer in funding, and for associated faculty, will be reviewed by the Chair on a case-by-case basis, in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies.
Please bear in mind the travel grants available from the following sources:
· The Graduate School’s Alumni Grants for Graduate Research and Scholarship.
In practice, this additional money has substantially expanded the department's research funding. If any graduate student is awarded a travel grant, the graduate student must report the award to the Fiscal Associate and follow the award procedures in addition to following the department’s travel and purchase procedures to utilize the award. For any awards that require a departmental match, the matching funds will be drawn from the graduate student’s travel allowance. For information on other funding opportunities for our grad students please visit Fellowship and Grants opportunities.
College of Arts and Sciences
Professional Development/training opportunities
Office of Student Life Student Organization Support
Students out of funding (non-employees/fellows)
Resources, other employment opportunities, benefits, etc.
Graduate Associate Opportunities
Department of English Opportunities
- First-Year Writing Program Writing Program Administrator
- Second-Year Writing Program Writing Program Administrator
- Professional Writing Minor Program Writing Program Administrator
- Rhetoric, Composition, and Literacy Studies Program Associate
- Poetics Today Editorial Associate
- Inks Journal Editorial Associate
- MOOC Associate
- Project Narrative Program Associate
- Narrative Editorial Associate
- Digital Media Project Administrative Associates
- Environmental Humanities Discovery Theme Program Associate
- LASER Program Associate
- Lord Denney’s Player’s Production Associate
- Graduate Studies Program Associate
- Study Abroad Teaching Associate
- Affordable Learning Administrative Associates
- Conference Organizing Associates
- Faculty Research Associates
- Center for Folklore Studies
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Kirwin Institute
- Center for Language, Literature and Culture
- Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing
- English as a Second Language Program
- University Center for the Advancement of Teaching
- OSU Library (Collection & Technical Services)
- Wexner Center for the Arts