Graduate Registration

Students are responsible for understanding the registration and fee payment information contained within BuckeyeLink and available on the University Registrar, the Graduate School, and the Department of English websites. The student acknowledges financial responsibility related to the cost of attendance at The Ohio State University; financial responsibility to pay any additional incurred fees, fines, or penalties; and the repercussions and financial responsibility involved in the debt collections process.  

Enrollment Appointments

The information about your enrollment appointment for spring semester is available in the "Enrollment Information" section on your Student Center page on Buckeye Link. You will need your OSU username and password to log in to Buckeye Link and register. If you need help with your OSU username and password, please visit the OCIO website
If you do not have an enrollment appointment for spring or if you have questions about any of the information provided in this memo, please contact Kathleen Griffin (MA/PhD students) at or Tammy Carl (MFA students) at


On-line registration can be accessed through your Student Center page on BuckeyeLink.  You will need your OSU username and password to log in to Buckeye Link and register. You will need to review the "Financial Responsibility Statement" on your "To Do List" before you will be able to register.

Important Registration Dates

  • See the Registrar for specific registration information, including deadlines.
  • The Graduate School also provides information about registration fees and deadlines. (Scroll to the “Registration, Changing Program, and other options” section of this page for a link to the “Registration and Fee Deadlines” for the upcoming semester.)

Course Offerings

Registration for Independent Studies and Research Hours

If you need to register for any of the following courses please submit a request as soon as possible and no later than August 1 for Autumn 2017 courses. 

Debra Lowry will process requests within one week, and will provide class numbers via email. Students must register in SIS independently, and should select the appropriate number of credits. Contact Kathleen Griffin ( or Tammy Carl ( if you have questions about appropriate enrollment levels or encounter any difficulties with submission or registration.

Graduate Independent Studies and Research Hours that may be requested online include:  

English 6998 Research in English: Portfolio Project
English 8193 Independent Study (PhD students: Director of Graduate Studies permission required)
English 8903 Teaching College English
English 8996 Research in English: Candidacy Examination
English 8998 Research in English: MFA Thesis
English 8999 Research in English: Dissertation

Fee Authorizations

For those students appointed as a Graduate Associate (50-75%) or Graduate School Fellow, in order for the fee authorization to be applied to your account and to avoid late registration and late payment fees, you must be registered for the appropriate number of credit hours by Tuesday, August 11. (Fall term  classes start on August 18, 2015.) 

Credit Hours

Please note that students who are funded by a Graduate Associateship (50-75%) or Graduate School Fellowship must be registered for the following number of credit hours for the Graduate School to recognize your status as full time full time and for the fee authorization to be applied to your account:

                                                                 Autumn/Spring               Summer 

Graduate Associates (25%)                         4 credit hours                            2 credit hours
Graduate Associates (50%)                         8 credit hours (minimum)          4 credit hours
Graduate Fellows                                        12 credit hours (minimum)          6 credit hours
Post-candidacy Graduate Associates         3 credit hours (maximum)         3 credit hours

Graduating Students

Graduating students should consult the Graduate School’s website for the appropriate checklist for the Masters and Doctorate degrees.

Graduate School's Graduate Deadlines.

If you need asssistance accessing any of the forms on this page, please contact

[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact