Every year, Lord Denney’s Players, the Department of English and the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies host the Lord Denney’s Players Sonnet Contest. Submissions of individual Shakespearean sonnets are welcome from Ohio State undergraduate students from all colleges and majors. Entries are received through a submission form that is open during the spring semester, and winners are notified by April 23 (Shakespeare’s birthday). All submissions are published in a chapbook that is distributed during the Department of English's spring awards event.
First prize: $100
Second Prize: $50
Honorable Mentions: $25
Congratulations to Our 2018 Winners!
- First Prize: George Thomas (English) for “Despite the Stars”
- Second Prize: Joelle Odoguardi (Theatre, Romance Studies) for “Bloom”
- Third Prize: Mary Clare Van Hulle (English) for “Breakups”
- Honorable Mention: Katherine Abram (English) for "Cosmic Elegy for the Damned"
- Honorable Mention: Landon Porter (English) for "If in the light of misremembered days"
- Honorable Mention: Emily Kattner (English, Psychology) for "Walking to the Grocery Store, Earbuds In"