The minor in English consists of five undergraduate courses, equivalent to 15 credit hours. These courses may also be used to fulfill the university's General Education requirements. Minor courses, unlike major courses, can be used on the GE.
Minor Course Requirements
- At least one of the following upper-division writing courses: English 3304, 3398, 3405, or 3467;
- At least one literature course (as opposed to the department's non-literature courses, which include courses on business and creative writing, film, folklore, digital media studies, popular culture, and theory);
- At least three courses at the 3000-level or above (these include the writing course and may include the literature course)
Additional Minor Requirements
- No more than two transfer courses may be applied to the English minor;
- While a grade of C- will be permitted in courses comprising the English minor, the overall grade point average for the minor must be 2.0 or higher;
- Courses taken on a Pass / Non-Pass basis cannot be applied to the English minor.
Minor Courses That Overlap With General Education Requirements
The following courses can be used on both the English minor and the GE:
- English 2367 fulfills the university's second-level writing requirement;
- English 2201, 2220, 2260, 2261, 2262, 2275, 2280, 2281, 2290, 3361, and 3372 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Literature requirement; they can also fulfill Open Option requirements;
- English 2263 and 2269 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Visual/Performing Arts requirement; they can also fulfill Open option requirements;
- English 2264, 2270, 2271, 2276, 2277, 2282, 3364, and 3378 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Cultures and Ideas requirement; they can also fulfill Open Option requirements;
- English 4597.01, 4597.02, 4597.04 fulfill the Open Options requirements.