Promoting Classroom Inclusion
The English Department Diversity and Inclusion Committee invites faculty, lecturers, and graduate students to explore collectively ways of making the classroom an inclusive place. The workshop will feature brief presentations by guests from across the campus, followed by small-group discussions about how instructors can enhance their teaching ideas and practices.
- Lois Harris, Office of Disability Services
- Laura Kraus, Access and First-Generation Programs
- Laurie Maynell, University Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Breakout sessions will allow participants to consider a variety of questions pertaining to pedagogy, among them:
- What does “diversity” have to do with you?
- How can instructors design a “diverse” syllabus?
- When and how does the teacher’s body and appearance matter in the classroom?
- How can teachers respond to challenges to their authority in the classroom?
- What can teachers do to create an inclusive classroom community?